While the business world (and certainly the recruitment world) are worrying about the Generation Y'ers, and how to engage with them, I wonder how many companies (if any apart) are starting to think strategically ahead........to the Generation Z'ers. These are people defined as being born after 1995, which means that the first ones will be starting to make education decisions over the next couple of years that will shape their lives - and those of employing companies. So what will Generation Z'ers be like?
Here are my 10 things that you as an employer will have to consider when it comes to generation Z'ers:
- The internet is their life. They are very web savvy and are tuned into social networking and blogs.
- They are 'surgically attached' to a mobile phone. Whatever you do - make sure it has a mobile application.
- They have a short attention span.
- All they have heard is 'global warming' - they are environmentally aware. No CSR policy? Get one!
- They are astute online consumers and are well versed in searching for the best deal.
- They will be a transient workforce. They will 'follow the work' and live where the work is based.
- They will likely be 'Google Bots' as they have grown up knowing web seaching as Googling!
- Attraction strategy for Generation Z'ers - Video, Music and real time interaction.
- They will expect to use the internet for everything, certainly for finding a job.
- Don't expect many real grafters - too many will have had it too easy for too long! Training needed!
Obviously this is very subjective and will no doubt be debated for many years to come, as they slowly come into our working lives.